By Susie Crossland-Dwyer
"At least once a day, allow yourself the freedom to think and dream.
[I] didn't write that headline. Albert Einstein did. He was saying: Beware of the ever-present 'experts' in your life. Don't let other people tell you what or how to think. Don't let them tell you who you are, or what you can become. Whether in science or everyday life, Einstein knew the folly of accepting someone else's opinion about what's possible or factual. Those who have never run a race in their lives are happy to give you all the reasons why you can't win yours. Be your own best expert. Form the habit of saying yes to your own ideas, dreams and aspirations. Then make lists of all the reasons why you can and will achieve them ... because there will always be plenty of people around who are willing to tell you all the reasons why you can't and won't."
-excerpt from What's on your top 10 list?
My Goals/Intentions for 2014 (& a little beyond)
1. Eat real food—get 85% of my nutrition from plants.
2. Spoil my family and friends with love.
3. Fill my world with meaningful sensory input that educates me and positively contributes to my existence = books, pod-casts, documentaries, people, images, music, etc.
4. Sleep at least eight hours per day.
5. Spend time moving outside everyday.
6. Indulge in music through listening and choreography.
7. Share my deep love of fitness/running with others, especially beginners, and help others realize their own potential in all aspects of life.
8. Push my emotional, psychological and physical (perceived) limitations through exposure to new ideas and experiences making this the “year of not normal.”
1. Visit and run in four national parks. Mt. Rainier (Feb 2014), Zion, Bryce & Grand Canyon (May 2014).
2. Run the North Face Endurance Challenge 50-miler in D.C. on 6/8/14 and improve my previous 50-miler time by at least 30 minutes.
3. Complete 15 unassisted pull-ups (by July 2014).
4. Ironman 70.3 Muncie (July 2014) and/or Ironman Louisville (August 2014) and improve previous IM time by at least 15 minutes.
5. Learn from my heroes/teachers in person (two people by December 2014).
6. Climb Mount Kilimanjaro and visit Serengeti, Africa (January 2015).
7. Write a book. Complete draft by Spring 2015.
8. Make Cincinnati one (in the top 5) of the healthiest cities in America (as soon or as long as it takes).
A few pictures from this past week that remind me of what's important
and how I want to live...
|Birthday dinner with my family! Sister Catie & bro-in-law Mike made a delicious homemade version of my favorite cake.|
|Long weekend run on our rails-to-trails system with my amazing friend Katie K. I feel as sunny as it looks.|
|Playtime on the trails of Ault Park on my 33rd birthday. Logs + snow = obstacle course.|
|Skiing with my one true love. Thumbs up for a healthy head.|
|Day one of my pull-up goal. Time to get started!|
|Team S running group meets at Ault Park in -7 windchill to complete their daily mileage. I love seeing others excel at their own goals.|
|Quality time with my men (even though Jaden is saying "get me out of here!").|